martes, 23 de febrero de 2010

HONDURAS: the first days




Hello!

Welcome to my blog! My name is Elizabeth Brouwer, but I go by many names. Some call me Leesha, some Liesje, some Elle, and many just call me Gringa. Following there will be tales of adventures, interesting foods, new friendships, crazy trips, development, and many words about culture…all taking place in Honduras! I am here in Tegucigalpa for 4 months, and I thought this would be a nice way to let you all know what I’m doing while I’m away. So here it goes…my first blog!

Thus far on the journey, I (along with my classmates) have:

-traveled from Grand Rapids, MI to the Detroit airport, from Detroit to Fort Lauderdale, FL, from Fort Lauderdale to San Pedro Sula, Honduras. From San Pedro Sula we drove 5 hours to Tegucigalpa, the capital of Honduras. All this took approximately 36 (or so) hours! Exactly when our tired feet touched the ground in Tegucigalpa, our host families swept us home in a whirl wind of new people to meet, new Spanish words to understand, and new food to eat upon our arrival at our homes. WOW!

-The next morning was the first day of class, starting at 8:30am. Jet lagged and exhausted, we talked more about what this semester in Honduras would look like. Kurt and Jo Ann Verbeek are our fearless leaders; they’ve resided in Honduras for about 20 years…pretty much some of the greatest people I’ve ever met! We then went and explored the city with our new Spanish teachers…we were all very glad they were with us on the crazy/adventurous bus trip!
-Scavenger hunt+Tegucigalpa+2 friends=great time! We broke into small groups and took off! My group was assigned to look for a certain statue, buy a stamp at the post office, and then navigate our way to a bank. What an adventure on the second day! After that, we went to AJS, a really cool organization that Kurt and Jo Ann work/volunteer for. The biggest thing I learned on this day was that Hondurans are very kind and patient when it comes to directions J Broken Spanish, a nice smile, and 3 Limpira (20 L.=$1 US) will get you where you need to go.

I am doing very well here in Honduras, after a few minor bumps in the beginning. The first night I ate meat for the first time in many many months, didn’t know where the water was, couldn’t get the bathroom door to stay closed, and forgot about the time change and got up approximately 2 hours early! Haha, it was an adventure!

And I made it.

More to come later!

3 comentarios:

  1. Eeeee! Keep it up! Lucky for you, I know basic Spanish and am able to figure out the non-english part of the blog.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Oh Liesje! That scavenger hunt sounds like so much fun! I wish we did that when we were in Mérida! What do you think of the bus system now that you've been there a while? I wish I were down there with you <3 God bless you all! PS: I pray that the trial business is going okay, and that God is managing to use it as a blessing for you all....

    ResponderEliminar
  3. thank you for the wonderful blog you set up! you write with such enthusiam and great details. we love you and pray for you!

    ResponderEliminar